Tuesday 12 July 2011

Just Say 'Yes'




So on Saturday night we finally held our engagement party in Glasgow in a wee pub venue where we danced, tripped, thanked and, most importantly, ATE.

It was a wonderful night, I got to spend it with some of the most important people in my life. Old, new and ancient friends sat all around us, alongside family and the 'other halfs' which had been dragged along for the ride! 
I'm a big believer in a group effort. It may the Italian blood in me. But with the contribution of family and friends helping cook, bake and make decorations, there were plenty to reasons to be thankful, and a great excuse to publicly embarrass them with gifts at the party! 


Future sister-in-law and bridesmaid, Amy, giving my wee maw her big bunch of flowers. Thanks for giving birth to me (and making two out of four lasagna's for the occasion!)

I've been part of four weddings in the past, so from experience I know there's no better feeling than knowing you've contributed to someone's special day. This is why Iansy and I wanted to get as many people involved in this party as possible; it's how we want our wedding to be, and it's how we want to live our lives...You just can't do it alone, and why on earth would you want to? With all the amazing people who surround you everyday, it would be daft to not make the most of them - and get them working for their
buffet!


That moment when you know you've embarrassed somebody good and proper...

Big shout out for Iansy Preston! Beautiful speech, from the heart, something I know I couldn't do into a microphone. A lot of people are skeptical about an engagement party. I know I used to be. It seemed a weird  thing to celebrate something that hadn't happened yet.

But as Iansy said in his speech "It's the biggest thing we've ever done, and by far the best, and we wanted to celebrate with you all." 




 A wee cheeky cheesy dance to our song...yeah, we're one of those couples who have a song.

But we also had little paper cut-outs of ourselves on the table. 

We're happy with who we are.


My AMAZING in-laws to be! Iansy with his parents and sister Amy. 


What a good looking bunch. 



My wee da, who had a hypoglycemic attack just before the party but still managed to arrive and look damn good in that suit. The man cannot be stopped <3



 These people know how to eat a buffet. I mean, party.





I love and appreciate you all... 




My big bro Carlo and sister-in-law Laura who provided 1 lasagna and 1 awesome cheesecake (so I'm told as I was not quick enough to get any!)


Big bro Michele and sister-in-law Charlene who provided home-made sausage rolls which were NOM and are still making me happy today...




Me with top lass, and bridesmaid to be, Ayden. As well as helping out with the party baking, decorating AND looking after my presents all night, she also gave me and Iansy the fantastic gift of a wee spa session at the luscious Bythswood Hotel.

She's a good egg! 



 Iansy, his sister and her glass of wine have a wee spin on the dancefloor! 


And if there's any trouble...


BIG PHIL will sort ye! 
(Who would have thought snapping an innocent pic of my dad straightening his collar could be so dangerous?!)

We are awfully thankful to everybody who turned up and celebrated with us, and those who were made-of-awesome enough to give us the further gift of giving a gift!

Money and vouchers will keep our wee home going, and possibly go towards the big day if we can hurry up and choose somewhere.

Just some of the truly awesome and thoughtful gifts we have received from friends and family. 



And with the engagement party past it's time to get onto the real business of organizing a wedding! Something I've been warned about by all my sister-in-laws married to my brothers...but surely my experience in organizing short films and art department will give me a wee head start.

Personally I couldn't be more excited. I've got three amazing girlies to help with the journey, and an even more amazing fiance to make the scary phone-calls, horsey-pat my nose when I'm being a bitch, feed me Doritos when I'm stressed, and take them away when I'm feeling fat. 

He is a good lad, and I can't imagine anything more exciting than our future right now. Wedding, adventures, hard work, and kids are on the horizon, and all the troubles in life that you can't avoid. But they don't seem so bad with a big strong set of shoulders to cry on. 

Love you, Iansy. 

Roll on 2013 :) 


Xx



"And the old despair that was often there suddenly ceases to be. For you wake one day, look around and say 'Somebody wonderful married me'." - Cabaret

3 comments:

Flying Sister said...

Dear Luisa & Iansy. Congratulations on your "Engagement. I am so happy for you. reading you blog gave me a feeling of a wee visit into you special day. love from your USA
cousin Norin Stone and Family

Unknown said...

Aaaauw horsey pats all round :) you make me lol and smile and lol some more! LOL :) this was a lovely post, all your family and friends are so lovely and if you keep feeding me I will be your friend forever ♥ (okay, I still will be even if you DONT) See you in a week for bubba times :) xx

Unknown said...

I love your blog. happy engagement! x