Sunday 27 March 2011

Life Is A Cabaret (A burlesque one, that is...)

Oh, have I got stuff to tell you!

I was pulled by my hair out the house this weekend by my friend Gemma when she came in possession of an extra ticket to Club Noir's Cabaret night at the King's Theatre.

As a fan of Club Noir's club nights, I had only turned down the offer originally because I couldn't afford the tickets this month, BUT fate clearly had other plans! For once, I am soo pleased I didn't spend Saturday night with a cuppa in front of  Come Dine With Me, deluding myself that one more Oreo won't hurt, and this morning listening to "You would have loved it, you should have been there!"

Our Master of Ceremonies, Miss Behave
record holding sword swallower
Well, I was there, and one of the acts has made me feel things I've never felt before. No, I'm not coming out the closet. (But, by the way, ooft, some fit birds undressing doesn't hurt anybody) Let me explain...


Although it was a variety show, I suppose I expected it to be mostly strip teases, dancing, and corny bits, typical of the shows I've seen at the o2 Academy in the past - but not so! The show was commentated by our gorgeous MC, Miss Behave, "one of the world's last surviving female sword swallower" but she also had a way with fire, and interesting uses for her tongue piercing. Wrapped in PVC, she introduced the acts and entertained us in between. Along side two beautiful strip-teases there were two stand-up comedians, an insanely talented (and buff) lady who did amazing things with several hula hoops, a record-smashing, rice-loving DJ who showered the audience and stage with two full buckets of rice (and some bread) there were two singing comedy acts with a historical twist, and then my man of the hour. We were taken from one extreme to the other, and Miss Behave was fabulous. She knew to win a Scottish audience all you have to do is apologise for being English, and make up for it by being "a travelling freak".

I'll set the scene. Because, darling, this is theatre after all. A bit of drama is needed.

A man enters the stage to stand before a black chalk board. He holds a tool box, and is wearing a three-piece suit which is completely covered in paint stains. Intrigued, I inch forward on my seat ever so slightly. I'm excited. He's got a Mohawk, and a lip piercing, and he's one of my kind. He opens his paint covered tool box, and begins sorting some brushes. Then he suddenly gets into position, like an athlete prepares for a sprint, poised before the board. As Elvis Presley's 'A Little Less Conversation' blasts around the auditorium, in complete synchrony, paint explodes across the board, and he's painting like a champion.

As somebody who paints, I was impressed on several levels. He was rehearsed, not only in his movements, but in the painting. With only three colours, an image appeared before us. I could tell it was methodical...he completed the pink parts, then the yellow, and finally the white, he even touched up bits with black... Everything, from where the marks were made, to what order they were painted, to his movement to the music, was rehearsed to perfection. Completely simple concept, I can understand how it was achieved, but I've never seen anything like it. For no more than a minute, he continued, after one shift of song what looked to me like a human heart was on the black board. People were shifting a wee bit in their seats, looking puzzled. Gemma asked me if she was missing something, but couldn't see a human heart like I could.

Then, as he dropped his tools, and Elvis belted out his last note, the artist spun the entire board upside down - the audience first gasped then exploded with laughter, applause and shouting. It was a perfect painting of Elvis Presley's face, complete with sneer and microphone. Excuse my language but it was fucking sensational.

In amongst all the hugely talented people we'd seen, he got the biggest roar at the bows, certainly I gave him a huge whoop in appreciation. I think it was because what he had done was so different, and would be probably hard for people to comprehend. His closed the first act, and his painting was left standing before the audience throughout interval. Gemma told me I could do that for my graduation showcase, and I replied "I could do that for a living!"

Some baldy got in the picture...

Until last night, performance art to me was street art, caricatures etc. So to me, this man was pretty sensational. Apart from his name, Jon Hicks, I'm struggling to find any more info on him. So I did a wee bit of research, and this is not a new thing at all! It's been going on for years and years. I'm apparently sheltered.

I'm obsessed now with the idea of doing one of these myself. If I'd known about it sooner, I would have done my research project on it. It's a beautiful fusion of art of performance, and a chance for the painter to take their well-earned place on a stage beside equally talented actors and musicians, if they want.

Check out this video! This isn't the man I saw, but it's the same kind of performance. It's so hard to describe until you've been part of an audience, and in a way I'm glad I didn't know what I was in for before I saw it.



Another shout out to the cabaret in general. At the end of the night the MC thanked, by name, every member of the crew, explaining "If it wasn't for them we'd be shouting in the dark" which I obviously thought was amazing.

Appreciation does exist. :)

Epic win of a night. I owe Gemma home baking for taking me.

I'm off the make the Sunday spaghetti

Muchos love :)

Xx

"What good is sitting alone in your room? Come hear the music play..."

- Cabaret


No comments: